Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Song/Collab/Review Megathread (For all)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(02-26-2017, 02:25 PM)AshGe Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, I'd like to have a feedback on this music I composed for a personal project (not developed yet).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ag8b9snnmtabj...g.m4a?dl=0

(I won't post the link for this sequence as it sounds completely messed up when you load the MIDI in the editor of that site

My knowledge in music theory is (really) extremely limited. I made that on a MIDI app called Xewton Music Studio on my iPod few years ago.

So, I'd mostly like to know what could be improved in that piece, and what does / doesn't work.

Thank you in advance =D

Hey AshGe, I want to start by saying that I think your song is very fun and unique and you really captured the essence of eastern music. I am also extremely impressed that you made that on an app, on an iPod of all things. 

Perhaps the best constructive criticism I have is that it felt a little long. Now, in your case, that may not matter because you are developing it for a personal project. If you are making a game or an animation or something along those lines and are using the song for background music than I have no problem with the length. However, just listening to it by itself seemed a little slow at certain times. Obviously, this is all a matter of personal opinion and other people very well may not feel the same way. But for example, I think that you could have brought in the first gong/cymbal at around the twenty-second mark instead of the forty-second mark and also started with the drums soon after. I feel like you could have expressed the feeling of the song in maybe four minutes or less and it would have left a similar impression. I like the bell part, but I feel like it should come after the part that ends around 2:10. The powerful part at 2:28 could be saved for after the bells and the buildup to start the end of the song. The last thing you could shorten is the build up from around 3:20-5:00. In terms of instruments, some of them are a little hard to distinguish. If it was possible, I would make the violin a little louder at times. I like your use of percussion throughout the song!

Again, all of this criticism is basically null if you have a time frame that you need to fill for your project. If the part of the project you need this for is about six minutes long, this works perfectly. My criticism is more applicable to the song standing by itself, not with visual accompaniment. 
But seriously, good job with this song! It was fun to hear a style that I do not hear as often and I believe you did very well overall. Good luck with everything!
Woa! Thanks for all your feedbacks :o

They sure are useful to me as a beginner Smile !

I too, feels like it can be even better (especially on the instruments choices), and your suggestions will help me to do so!

Your feedbacks also allow me to gain more confidentiality on my works, so I'm extremely thankful for that!
onlinesequencer.net/418784, onlinesequencer.net/418784 what do you think?
(02-27-2017, 05:18 PM)CelZero Wrote: [ -> ]onlinesequencer.net/418784, onlinesequencer.net/418784 what do you think?

It's neat!

I like how you used the single key A#7 throughout the whole thing! It's subtle but it has a very important role in your piece.

Although, I prefered listening to this at 115 bpm instead of 128 Smile
(02-27-2017, 05:18 PM)CelZero Wrote: [ -> ]onlinesequencer.net/418784, onlinesequencer.net/418784 what do you think?

The best thing I can name about the sequence so far is the instrument usage, and that's it. Even so, it's nothing too high in what I consider my preferred standards in the site.

The chord pattern sounds rather generic, although this may be because the loop is too short. Try to use chords outside the major and minor areas (I have yet to make a tutorial on this.) Adding unique variation to a song is crucial to making it well liked.

I'd also like to point out the Electric Piano notes, a rule of thumb is to never put more than two notes in a row right next to each other, or else it will sound pretty repetitive. Try making an arpeggio, which will act as a "filler" yet at the same time it doesn't annoy the listener too much. Listen for the general notes of the area you are placing notes in, and just make a zig-zag pattern across the sequence. [url=]Here's an example of what I mean.[/url]

I actually personally really like this.
I really like the A#7 like Ash, it sets the tone for the rest of it.
I think you did a great job with the instruments, but I really can't hear the acoustic guitar so maybe try adding another layer of that.
Another thing I would suggest is adding percussion.
A lot of people (including my past self) seem to feel intimidated by percussion, and say stuff like "I'm just not good at percussion, I'll focus on the other things"
But, the percussion is an essential piece in any form of music. One extremely simple thing I can suggest for the percussion is to Copy/paste the A#7s and change it to percussion and just move it around and see if you like it anywhere. I'd try Mute Triangle.

Anyway, I was pretty impressed by this song, especially for such a new user. I think it would turn out well if you kept working on it and made it longer.
I look forward to possible future updates?

Definitely not a bad song! It's short, but catchy. I like the tune you have going on for the most part, but to me, it feels like there is a bit too much going on at once. If it were me, I would get rid of the Sci-Fi and the Acoustic guitar because as it stands now, it muddies up the sound and isn't adding too much of value to the loop. The A#7 as a consistent note is fine, but to make it a little "smoother" and more pleasant I would maybe bring it down an octave and change it to smooth synth. If that is not loud enough for you, you can put two layers of it to make it louder. The chords are good but could use a little more variation. For example, you could add a note to help the transition to the next chord. Also, because the base doesn't have too much of a plucky sound, you may benefit from putting the grid on 1/4 and placing notes on each spot instead of with placing them at the same points as the chords. That would add a little bit more of a consistent depth to the song. Honestly though, I think that this song is good and catchy. Great job!
I don't remember what comes next. Also, what do you think about the song overall? Anything I can improve? I think the percussion is a bit tryhardy
Hello, I have two songs that I would like some feedback upon;

[url=][/url] and [url=][/url].

I only have a basic understanding of composition, so any feedback is welcome. Also keep in mind that while the first piece is an original, the second is not.

Thanks in advance!
(03-07-2017, 08:23 PM)Swiwious Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, I have two songs that I would like some feedback upon;

[url=][/url] and [url=][/url].

I only have a basic understanding of composition, so any feedback is welcome. Also keep in mind that while the first piece is an original, the second is not.

Thanks in advance!

The first one is great. Nice use of chord progressions to create a catchy melody. I recommend adding some other instruments to the mix (also grand piano is better than electric).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7