Online Sequencer Forums
How to structure music better? - Printable Version

+- Online Sequencer Forums (https://onlinesequencer.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://onlinesequencer.net/forum/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: General Music Composition (https://onlinesequencer.net/forum/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: How to structure music better? (/thread-5392.html)

How to structure music better? - pseudoname - 05-04-2021

are there any techniques i can use to shape and structure my music more effectively? (when to introduce which parts, how much repetition is too much / not enough, how to add variety to chord progressions, etc. etc. etc.)

RE: How to structure music better? - bentoonie - 05-04-2021

for chord variation, this video really helped me: https://youtu.be/ys0zXG_sZ4Y

it's a video on reharmonization but i found out from it that just swapping out chords in a progression for a diff chord that serve the same function (which is addressed at 3:00 in the vid) can rlly add a different kinda flavour without you having to do much

as for structure & where to place things, i have as much idea as you lol, however i do recommend 8 bit music theory's vids as they've taught me a lot about composition :^)

RE: How to structure music better? - LucentTear - 05-04-2021

RE: How to structure music better? - pseudoname - 05-04-2021

just gonna copy down the helpful advice i got from chat:

- use more 7ths and suspended chords
- nudge notes from chords to make new chords
- separate songs into definite sections w/ transitions
- use repetition to legitimize/reinforce key sections or phrases
- left click place note when stuck
- analyze finished works

RE: How to structure music better? - LucentTear - 05-04-2021

Quote:- nudge notes from chords to make new chords

by this i mean the best chords are usually made from minimal changes in notes

RE: How to structure music better? - Benvisions - 05-04-2021

(05-04-2021, 08:30 AM)LucentTear Wrote:
Quote:- nudge notes from chords to make new chords

by this i mean the best chords are usually made from minimal changes in notes

I do agree.

RE: How to structure music better? - RuleEmpire - 05-04-2021

place the notes on the grid better lol

RE: How to structure music better? - Lopyt - 05-08-2021

The key is to not listen to your song so your mind doesnt getused to what it sounds like before its done, that way you can follow the train of thought and get a great structure without much effort

RE: How to structure music better? - emekat - 05-24-2021

Nothing replaces inspiration. Composing arrangements and structure is all about RULES ... and 'feeling' just the right moment when to break them. Wink

Remember: you're writing songs. So when you're thinking of what part should go next, don't try to think of a part, think (or more accurately feel) how the SONG should go.

When all else fails, go through some theory tricks and hear which one sounds best.

1 ~ Add/remove a layer to the groove. This is the most common today due to people just relying on their loops and building on them rather than actually structuring things, so also usually the most bland - hence songs these days don't change very much (boring). However this can still be quite effective in adding depth with a subtle change by just adding an extra vocal ahh or percussion or string synth for the next 4 or 8 bars.

2 ~ Mode change. This is like verses in minor and chorus in major or vice-versa. Also can work with bridges or with any other change. probably the easiest way to evoke emotion in the listener and add drama is to change between minor and major.

3 ~ Key change. Move everything up/down a step? Maybe really grab attention with just a half-step?

4 ~ Rhythm change. Change to double time for intensity or to half time for focus or contemplation. Maybe change the drums from 8ths to 16ths. Perhaps change the kick pattern.

5 ~ Feel change. Go from staccato to legato, or from flowing rhythm to punchy.

6 ~ Shots. Stop the groove completely for a bar or two (or even less) and put in a/some big hit(s) or solo one instrument.

As for structure, there are standard patterns. If you want to be different, take a standard structure and put a change in it (ie: find a rule and break it Wink ) ...

intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, solo, chorusx2, out

instead try something weird like ...

intro, verse, chorus, SOLO, chorus, bridge, VERSE, chorusx2, out

The Beatles would often sing only a half verse in the 2nd verse and let an instrumental finish the verse. They found the right moment to break the rule, see? Very innovative.