Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Nov. 2018 Monthly Contest - Autumn
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
[Image: nov2018.png]

[Image: avatar_2740.png?dateline=1534443788] Hello Online Sequencer and welcome back to the OS monthly contests!

Let me just start by saying thanks to everyone that participated in the previous contest! I am so thrilled by how popular it was! Anyway, this month’s theme will be Autumn. Good luck!

General Information

The entry period is from 11/1 ~ 11/21 (11:59 PM EST). Winners will be announced on 11/30!

While we will post general notes on every contest, please refer to the Monthly Contest announcement thread for more details on Monthly Contests themselves.

• Entry limit of 2 sequences per person.

• Committee members are allowed to enter the contests, but will not enter their example sequence nor will they vote for their own entry.
  • Sequences made prior to the current Monthly Contest are allowed, although we don’t recommend entering the same sequence in different Monthly Contests.
  • Making a remix of an existing song is allowed. Please make it as creative as possible while applying the contest’s theme. 
  • The standard Online Sequencer Rules will apply and any entries violating a rule will automatically be disqualified.

Committee Notes

[Image: avatar_2740.png?dateline=1534443788] Autumn is definitely a trickier feel to get, as it’s not often attributed to music. On top of that, depending on where in the world you live, your autumn may be different from others’.

For example, I’m lucky enough to live in a temperate deciduous forest, which is a fancy way of saying that I get to see nature’s one last brilliant show before the cold onset of winter.

Where the leaves on the trees all turn hues of yellow, orange, and red and fall to the ground, lighting wherever the go ablaze with their fiery hues. This is my autumn.

Based on this, I would describe autumn music as follows: slow and calm with a touch of somberness and a pinch of awe.

[Image: avatar_19360.png?dateline=1539748353] Autumn is something I have tried many times to capture in music, as it's my favorite part of the year and I have a lot of familiarity with it, due to living in a deciduous area.

As Kirbyderp said, it's certainly quite tricky, but here's my best description.

I envision something melancholy, adventurous and tranquil, with a bit of brilliance and an epic vibe as the song progresses, as more and more leaves turn and light the skies on fire with their brilliant colors. Towards the end you could have a slightly ominous, cold and almost foreboding undertone, as winter approaches. 

Vibraphones, flutes, acoustic/jazz guitars and synths are instruments I attribute with autumnal music. But it's up to you what to do; this is just my personal preference.

This is a song I made previously with the intention of capturing the vibe of autumn. I think it's my best attempt at it and works well as an example sequence. The beginning is reminiscent of the end of summer, but quickly transitions to an autumnal somberness. 

For me, nothing more fall than Iron Maiden, but I really don't think that would place well...

Would power/black metal do well in this contest?

Rock on guys!
(11-01-2018, 05:54 AM)Sir_Guy Wrote: [ -> ]For me, nothing more fall than Iron Maiden, but I really don't think that would place well...

Rock on guys!

What the heck is with you suggesting power metal for everything? Themes can be taken to your own interpretation of course, but that's beside the point. The contests are for you to experiment with new genres.
(11-01-2018, 07:07 AM)LucentTear Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-01-2018, 05:54 AM)Sir_Guy Wrote: [ -> ]For me, nothing more fall than Iron Maiden, but I really don't think that would place well...

Rock on guys!

What the heck is with you suggesting power metal for everything? Themes can be taken to your own interpretation of course, but that's beside the point. The contests are for you to experiment with new genres.

I didn't realize that I suggest power metal for everything... I didn't think I did... 

Can you elaborate on new genres?

Made to capture a more chaotic take on autumn via fast pacing

A more typical "autumn" feel, somberness and slow-ish pace included (WIP, will be finished before the late afternoon today)
--Reserved Space--

Final Revision (?)
Added flute

i'll also add this cus i don't want only a single entry
(11-01-2018, 04:16 PM)blobertthebob Wrote: [ -> ]--Reserved Space--

Also is it cool if I kinda remix a song (really I'm just taking some background stuff I can credit the original song)

Remixes are 100% allowed.
(11-01-2018, 04:27 PM)Kirbyderp Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-01-2018, 04:16 PM)blobertthebob Wrote: [ -> ]--Reserved Space--

Also is it cool if I kinda remix a song (really I'm just taking some background stuff I can credit the original song)

Remixes are 100% allowed.

Nice
Pages: 1 2 3 4