Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: 2020 February Monthly Contest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I don't really know if this one can pass, but I kinda like how this one turned out. I've never done a contest before, so I suppose now is as good of a time to try as any. It's based on the Leviathan, the Behemoth, and Ziz, if you'd like to know. I'll possibly alter this before the entry date is over.

This Party is Way Cooler than I Am: The main character enters the house slowly, unsure what they might find. Each room is different, filled with new wonders as the party goes on...

Shanty of the Will-O-Wisps: A song of the sea. Imagine a stalwart sailing vessel as it crosses the ocean with a driving montage of nautical shenanigans.
Guess im entering.

So instead of going with the whole "I have to write a whole song that tells a story" route, i went with the "Make a loop thats supah epic" route. This is just a 4 bar loop, but it has such a stereotypicaly epic chord progression that i had to enter it. Like im pretty sure this exact progression is used in a marvel movie somewhere.

Technique descriptions
Instrument Layering is the main technique, used to create the orchestra hits, and the lead instrument, along with a minor use of it in the percussion.. The orchestra hits were difficult to get the right balance in volume; i wanted there to be a bass-ish element, but only the Cello goes that low (I could use Pizzicato, but that might get muddy, testing will be done) I also wanted higher elements, which is where the Violin comes in. Finally, i was concerned about how load to put the hits, as i wanted them to almost blend in with the Square Arps.

The lead was also difficult to make, purely because of the sustain. The Electric guitar can be effectively pseudo-sustained, so I had to settle for the max default max note length. To fix this, I doubled the octave, and layered it with the Slap Bass an octave down, do give it some low end. I then copied the melody an octave up, and put it to Grand Piano, to give it some high end. I then balanced out the volumes, and the lead was done.

The percussion is nothing special, I just wanted to experiment with the 8-bits. I found that the snares alone were kinda trash, so I layered them. The hi-hats were also too quiet, so I copied em 4 times to raise the volume. Finally I added the 1st Electric Drum Kit snare, do give it some substance. I may do some layered toms, but the sequence is chaotic enough as is.

I hope you guys learned something useful, and enjoy my epic loop.
This is still a WIP

Birth of a Villain WIP
Use Fast Graphics and Zoom out for full picture
yo

Finally, it's complete. This is the longest and possibly the most complex original song ever attempted on OnlineSequencer. It is 20min long and has over 20 time signature changes, This took a lot of effort to complete (I had to create it without hearing it due to my computer being inadequate), so I hope it gets a place in the contest.

Though I had a story planned for it, I feel it's best if I do not share it, as this song really is for the imagination. 

I hope you like it, and good luck!
sorry for the lack of structure and instruments I just wanted to submit something
[url=][/url]

made a boss battle theme
Pages: 1 2 3 4