Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Can OS be used to produce professional quality music?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey, I'm relatively new here and I've found myself fairly confused about DAW's, especially the comparative capabilities of OS.

By no means am I questioning the many superiorities of the site, when it comes to simplicity and user-friendliness it can't be beaten. I'm just curious if, with loads of practice, 'professional' music can be produced through OS when compared to works that can be developed through other DAW's. 

I'm sure there are obviously more powerful alternatives, but I've heard a lot of conflicting information surrounding the overall quality of OS, and so I guess my question to the more experienced users is:

Is OS more of a fun hobby DAW, or something with legitimate grounds to solely produce professional tracks?

Thanks heaps, I ask this sincerely.
I know a user on here that's made successful Fiverr commissions with OS. So it's definitely possible.

However, if you're thinking about using OS professionally, keep in mind its probably in the best extent of a side hustle kind of job. You wouldn't probably be able to make a living off of OS because it's not like one of those things you get a degree in college for and show to other people.

That being said, whether your skill is something that can warrant a lot of customers to come to you for freelance music work is something that is probably more difficult to achieve with OS than any other DAW. While the interface is as intuitive as it can be—even more intuitive than your mainstream DAW—I find it that everything you do on OS tends to be more and more "manual" the deeper you go and that things like sound design are just more effectively managed on other DAWs.

In my opinion, OS is great for practicing composition because the nicheness of the site puts your head under the mentality to ignore what your instruments are before composing. For DAWs, you frequently have to worry about the freedom of choice with the number of VSTs and other things that are so widely available.

I hope this provides some sort of genuine feedback. I'm writing this at 4 AM and I can't read half of the things I'm typing out.
OS is nowhere near what a DAW like Ardour, Cakewalk, or Reaper (these three are amazing and free) can do. However working within its limitations can inspire your creativity, possibly giving you ideas on stuff you could do in a full DAW. I've not seen anyone make any profits on OS music other tjan Jacob_. Professional quality isnt reallt defined here so maybe? It depends on if you can sell it really
If you are interested in electronic music at all, SurgeXT is a completely free open source synth that can do anything. Its stupidly powerful and I would still recommend it even if it cost $500+
Wow, I wasn't expecting this level of effort in the replies, thanks guys.

Yeah I'm not really considering a career in music or anything like that... More just to make music people can enjoy the most I guess.

I think I definitely understand the merit behind OS better now thanks to these replies. I'll definitely keep using it to improve my currently non-existent production skills (and creativity), and I look forward to engaging more in this community.

Thanks again!
https://voca.ro/1hkRPgxdcmsb rough draft on a DAW, didnt even record bass yet, vs my best OS song
(11-01-2022, 12:31 AM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ]https://voca.ro/1hkRPgxdcmsb rough draft on a DAW, didnt even record bass yet, vs my best OS song

Both sound great, but yeah I see the point.

I'll eventually try to transition into higher production quality DAW's on the side (when my skills can match it that is)
So these DAW programs have so many buttons and everything looks confusing and complicated and hard to understand because you have no idea what anything actually does right? The reason many people here prefer OS is they can more easily get started with it, BUT in doing that you are sacrificing your time on a tool less capable of the job you wish to preform, which is producing radio quality music. All that confusion will go away shortly after using it, month maximum, an hour minimum, and then you won't feel limited when you have interesting ideas that just don't work on OS. Also, after you learn how to produxe music with a DAW those skills will mostly transfer over to OS as well, making it much easier to use OS too. The point is to use the best tool for the job, even if its difficult to use that tool, once you learn,you will be immensely powerful
Not saying dont use OS, just saying dont stall on the DAWs because they look complex. I use both all the time.

Another critically important thing is having a neutral listening environment sp you can hear what the music sounds like instead of the flaws in your speakers/headphones
(11-01-2022, 12:38 AM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ]So these DAW programs have so many buttons and everything looks confusing and complicated and hard to understand because you have no idea what anything actually does right? The reason many people here prefer OS is they can more easily get started with it, BUT in doing that you are sacrificing your time on a tool less capable of the job you wish to preform, which is producing radio quality music. All that confusion will go away shortly after using it, month maximum, an hour minimum, and then you won't feel limited when you have interesting ideas that just don't work on OS. Also, after you learn how to produxe music with a DAW those skills will mostly transfer over to OS as well, making it much easier to use OS too. The point is to use the best tool for the job, even if its difficult to use that tool, once you learn,you will be immensely powerful
Exactly right, I kinda found myself getting lost in the more complicated DAW's...

I totally agree tho, the sooner I start learning what I'll need to use anyway the better. No use in me delaying it.

Of the DAW's you previously mentioned, any one in particular you would recommend to a newbie like myself?
Pages: 1 2