Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Video game music competition (with sort of a prize!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(09-14-2019, 09:03 AM)Sir_Guy Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I can mix the onea you choose to make them all sound like the same artist.

My mixing skills are not bad, but not the best
It's fine, what you've sent is perfect as it is. If you do want to mix it, I'm not exactly stopping you though...  Wink
(09-14-2019, 09:04 AM)yor boi 24 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey I got one.

if this works

Both are the same thing but it is kind of a boss music type of feel
Wow, it sounds exactly like a traditional boss theme! I think I'll use this as chase scene music instead of a boss fight though. Fantastic composition!
(09-14-2019, 09:14 AM)ABY55 Wrote: [ -> ]I have another song. This is supposed to be for like some kind of desert boss. I may post a remix MP3 file of it later.
It really does sound like a desert boss! Good job!
ATTENTION VIDEO GAME MUSIC COMPETITORS! The competition will end today at 7:00 P.M. (GMT-7)! All submissions that have been submitted before 7:00 will be eligible for winning. Later on Tuesday (9/17/19) at some time around 5:00 P.M., 1st, 2nd, and 3rd will be announced. Remember, 1st place gets one of their sequences as the game's theme music (whether it's a submitted one or a new one you'd like to send), their user name noticeably referenced in the game, and the opportunity to do a music trade (I'll give you one of my musical creations for you to use for whatever reason. The music may not be an Online Sequencer composition and will be sent as an MP3. The music will be attached
to a private message for 1st place). 2nd and 3rd will only receive the bonus music trade opportunity, and everyone who sent music that I will use will have their user name or provided real name in the credits.

For the music trade deal, I could also help with a sequence collaboration if that is more valuable to you. If you'd like some reference for my music composition skills on Online Sequencer, I can post one of my tracks (I don't have any saved on my profile since I record the music raw with Audacity Music Editor).

Lastly, if you'd still like to send music for the game, I'll use it and still put your name in the credits, but it may not be used in my CURRENT programming project.

I hope you all enjoyed doing this, your work is VERY appreciated! Thank you all so much! (:
ATTENTION! The competition's end has been moved over to Monday at 9:00 P.M. due to schedule issues. The winners will be announced on Tuesday at 5:00 P.M.!

P.S. I will not be active on Sunday, and I will no longer reply to those who have eligible music. The composers eligible will be announced when the winners are announced!
Another song

Final Entry - Final Boss Fight Song
(09-15-2019, 04:38 PM)Arselin Ten Wrote: [ -> ]Another song
This is really good! I like the combination of 8-bit with a modern battle theme style! Great work!
ATTENTION! THE CONTEST IS NOW OVER! Any submissions posted here after this post was made will not be eligible for getting a top 3 placement. If you still want to send music, I will accept it and will still credit you. The top 3 winners will be announced on Tuesday at 5:00 P.M.! Thank you all so much for your contributions, and I hope you all enjoyed doing this. Thank you so much!
Well, it’s over. The final results of the music competition are in, and it’s time to decide a winner! With all of the contributions, it was extremely hard to pick favorites. But I managed to do it as hard as it was…

Before we start, let me just say thank you to everyone who willingly gave music to enhance the gaming experience for this project. Music has always been a high priority with my projects, and all of you have set the bar higher for that priority. With each sequence, I will carefully choose what scenario each track will be used for, some of which has already been decided! Again, thank you all SO MUCH for helping me with my dream project; I’ll never forget your talents!

Anyway, enough feelings, time to get serious and professional! *clears throat*

Here is the list of the competitors that had eligible music:

-"Sir_Guy"
-"Xstep"
-"Big Brother 8"
-"ChaosTheProtogen"
-"Void"
-Ethan Murri (EtherBot)
-"SansFan_musical"
-"asdf[:"
-"CrimsonSkyfall"
-"Xtrouble835"
-"ABY55"
-“Arselin Ten”

So, in order to decide who had the best sequence(s) submitted, I judged each one with the following criteria:

-The unique uses of instruments
-The note layout and it’s collaboration with the tempo
-Music duration and each “phase” of the music that stops it from being redundant
-Amount of music contributed (although this hardy makes a difference)
-The availability the tune of the music gives for making it work with most gameplay scenarios

The top 3 winners all mastered the criteria for this challenge. They each put hard work that ended up perfectly for a video game scenario, or any scenario for that matter. And I’m not saying that the other non-placement sequence creators didn’t do well, you all did amazing work, it’s just that the top 3 did the best. I mean no discrimination against anyone who submitted music.

Before I announce the winners, here are some notes you all might want to know:

1. Each track used has a different name in my game instead of the original sequence’s name. Each MP3 file has your username or given name imprinted into it.

2. I have made some instrument changes to some of the sequences, but I’ve saved the original sequence too. If my remixed version is used, your original track will be used too. Only the original tracks count as eligible for the competition, NOT my remixed versions!

3. Your music might not be used in the first patch of the game. The game contains updates, so if your music isn’t used in version 1.0, it will be used in a future update. I may want to use most of the 8-bit tracks for a second project I’ve already started FYI.

SO… it’s time to announce the winners!!! For each user, I will explain which sequence made them win, why I liked it so much, what it’s going to be used for, and the sequence’s new name that will be given for the game.

In 3rd place, we have ChaosTheProtogen for his sequence “midnight”. This one caught on to me because it has a great intro that really give the feel of an 8-bit video game made in modern times. The placement of each note and the up and down slurs with the 8-bit square was a cool concept to use, especially since it’s recreation was so well.

I’m calling this music “Thanasima”. Thanasima is an optional boss fight you can find underground, who is a hybrid of a woman, a dragon, and a chameleon. The music paired with a less story-oriented boss works well since the music is dramatic but not scary enough to scare low-leveled players. Thanasima is likely going to be encountered first, so the music will be a great introduction to the game’s entire boss fight soundtrack. Awesome job ChaosTheProtogen, you’ve earned 3rd place!

In 2nd place, we have Sir_Guy for his sequence “In a cave” (Inacave). I really liked this one for it’s note layout. While the choice of instruments were simple, the notes placed change atmosphere of the tune in an instant. It starts off making the player think “Ooh, I wander what this place is”, then it changes to a “Wow, this room looks like a fun place” kind of feel.

The music will be called “Relics and What-not”. It’s used as a moving tent shop that sells the most random out-of-place items that could possibly be useful to the player. I choose this music for that because the music is extremely joyful to listen to while making conversation with the store owner and making deals to save resources and money. Plus, with the music’s long duration and uniqueness throughout the entire track, I think players will LOVE hearing your little tune each time they come to the shop for something. Heck, they might just come for the music. Excellent work Sir_Guy, you’ve earned 2nd place!

Ok, it was very hard choosing who would be 1st. Everyone did so well, but only one can be the winner. I didn’t know which sequence I liked the most, but then one was submitted that caught my attention…

In 1st place, the winner of this contest is… Xstep, for his sequence “jazzpump”! This track was one the best battle themes I received. As soon as the sequence was over, I thought, “Woah, I’m going to have to make a pretty cool or mysterious boss to work with this jazzy battle theme”! The music starts off with a ragtime-piano beginning with some jazzy percussion, then it changes to an upbeat and dramatic but jazzy battle theme. It gives off a feeling of being rushed, giving the urge to defeat the enemy before it defeats you! Plus, in the middle of the track, it shifts to a classic RPG-style tune that sounds unique because of its choice of instruments. The guitar and violin playing the same notes are the cherry on the sundae!

The music will be titled “Snap an Alternative”. It’s used for a boss fight against a sly, quick bladed cloth-covered assassin who has a gimmick for alternating things the way he wants, whether it’s emotions, colors, speeds, and even time. The fight is also timed for 2:30, so if you run out of time, you’re dead. This theme will work perfectly for the fast-percussion music the battle is assigned too. If this music goes popular all over the internet, trust me, it will be the next ***** (but not annoying at all). Extreme congratulations Xstep, you have WON THE CONTEST!!!

The winning sequence:

And there you have it! The top 3 winners of the video game music contest! Xstep will be given a special thanks in the credits and his user name referenced in the game (Xstep could make an awesome name for an electronic device!). Every composition will be used in the game and each author of the sequence(s) will be credited. For the top 3 winners, if you want to work out a deal for music trade or a collaboration, my ears are open. If you want a music trade, I can send it to you via an MP3 file (and it may not be music from Online Sequencer, I’ve used other programs before).

Lastly, I have some notes for a few users: Xstep, CrimsonSkyfall, and EtherBot. If your name is not mentioned here, you nothing else here to see, and I’d like to say thank you once again for making this project sooooo much easier for me and have a nice evening! (:

-Dear Xstep: I heard some of your other sequences, and they sound amazing! May I use most of them for the game, with full credit still of course? Your fast paced sequences are perfect for more battle music, and I could really use some of that.

-Dear CrimsonSkyfall: May I use some of your other sequences? I really like your style, it’s perfect for an open world game (if I had to choose 4th place, I would choose you btw, (: ). You could certainly be my main source of music actually. With all of your pre-made tracks, using your beautiful compositions would make things so much easier for me, and I think players would love your style of music. Is it ok if I use some of your other ones, with full credit?

-Dear EtherBot: Thank you for being the only person to submit their real name! It makes crediting so much easier, and it will be helpful for the future too. Plus, if one of your compositions go viral from my game, everyone will know the true name of the artist. Thanks for making things easier, and thank you for the special little tune you sent, I’d love to hear a full version sometime! (:

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH AND HAVE A GOOD REST OF YOUR DAY!

1st: Xstep (jazzpump)

2nd: Sir_Guy (In a cave / Inacave)

3rd: ChaosTheProtgen (midnight)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6