Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Need computer help, my computer broke
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
My Windows 7 Ultimate computer with AMD Phenom X4 9500 and nVidia GeForce 8400 GS started to become very very slow (to the point it takes a few minutes just to open the task manager) when I installed a new sound card to replace my old one. Both sound cards are Soundblaster Live but I dont know where to check the model of them. 

Anyway, even when I remove the sound card, and even put the old one back in, it still remains very slow. Could it be a bad driver installation or something? Could I have somehow damaged the registry? 

Additional info: after I installed the new sound card I opened system recovery, for I had forgotted my username and was trying to use that one trick where you can open file manager without being logged in to access the files and system files. The computer did accidentally get turned off because of a temporary power outage
Your CPU and GPU are almost 14 years old. I would suggest an upgrade, but that's old enough that it's going to be tough to do an incremental upgrade, so you'd probably end up replacing pretty much everything except the hard drives and that new sound card. That'll cost a few hundred dollars at minimum. If that's the direction you want to go, check out this $600 gaming build: https://techguided.com/best-gaming-pc-un...0-dollars/

If you don't have the money for that, try reinstalling windows on a new SSD. I'm guessing from the age of your parts that you're still using spinning disk drives. SSDs are way faster, and it can drastically speed things up to run your OS and games of that. Aside from the SSD upgrade, just reinstalling windows can speed it up. I find it slows down overtime, so I usually do a fresh install on a new disk every few years. You can get an SSD off amazon pretty cheap ($50 for 500GB, $120 for 1TB, $200 for 2TB).
I would really prefer not to replace anything if possible. I am satisfied with the parts I have. The computer was working just fine before the other day
Ooh just got a blue screen.

Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed
SSDs are cheap, that would be my recommendation. Failing that, try backing up your data and reinstalling windows.
Oh I forgot to mention,my computer is suddenly getting way too hot also
Did one of the fans stop spinning or something? Maybe you knocked out a fan's power cable.
How do I install windows on my spare hard drive then? And can I still access the files I had on my old hard drive?
All the fans are spinning, but they seem to be slower than before
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Pages: 1 2 3 4