Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: the stories behind our sequences
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
the story behind 99dc (btw it's a bop):
i felt so fucking guilty that i hadn't written a summer-ish song ever so yeah.
also the faux rap bit before the last chorus sounds weird but i mean not that weird

my process (chronologically):
chorus
final chorus
pre chorus
1st and 2nd verse
faux rap
post chorus
intro
outro

touchups (also chronologically):
the g#7 'twinkle' you hear at the beginning
removing every single c#5 because they sound weird

so yeah that's the process for 99dc. hope you enjoy the sequence.
the story behind eclipsing iced coconut water in saigon (chilly-hot):
i wanted to write bossa nova AGAIN

my process (chronologically):
i just wrote it all at once

so yeah there it is. EICWIS is a loop but it's good i think. enjoy.

also the octave 7 music box is my signature sound so h

everyone should have a unique sound that defines their music.
(06-22-2021, 11:36 AM)Lordy-Lord Wrote: [ -> ]Every sequence I made from all these years was just me being a wanabe video game music producer, ofcourse now I just wanna be good at any type of music
bro same ;-;
For the past 6 months I've been putting together a collection of piano works. I really want to come out with a polished album sometime since I've been working on OS forever and I don't really have anything concrete as a musician to show people who don't use OS.

Since I just finished Marseillaise Regicide, I think now would be a good time to make some author's notes on what I have so far.

The album name is still undecided, but in general the album pulls inspiration from the Middle Ages and the Enlightenment. However, these periods only influenced the titles and aren't representative of the music at the time. Instead, I was more interested in interpreting the particular themes that can be grasped from its history.

I wanted to represent various institutional beliefs—and so I intend to cover concepts that are encompassed under religious, superstitious and monarchical contexts.

I do not have direct inspiration for either Prescience of Augur or Marseillaise Regicide, but you can find similar music under my listening playlist here.

Prescience of Augur.

This originally started out as a potential jazz trio with Celt and Muhngkee, but the idea has since been scrapped.
As a standalone piano composition, Augur already felt complete and was considerably dynamic without the support of percussion and bass.

The title is a pleonasm—prescience meaning "to know something before it takes place" whereas an augur is someone who practices divination to predict omens.
The naming structure was modeled after the songs in this album and felt rightfully pretentious for the piano collection. 

During Prescience of Augur, I tried focusing on creating a foreboding, theocratic(?) kind of feeling. While these are the best adjectives I can offer, there are further nuances that I'd like to explain.

The idea of God comes to me as a warm yet purposely distant and enigmatic presence. While many religious pieces come off as sacred and sterile, I wanted to try paying particular attention to agape—the unconditional love between humans and God. For this reason I've kept Augur casual and upbeat to represent this kind of relationship.

However, no unconditional love goes without a deistic fear. I composed a small passage illustrating the intimidation of God around #t824 where it starts feeling more grandiose. Personally I think this is the most "heartfelt" section of Augur and that it heavily contrasts with the other sections of the sequence.

There's a common theme with upward progressions sprinkled throughout the piece. At this point I'm really just making up what the song means, but I envision an augur trying to abandon his former ideologies of the church in order to pursuit a deeper understanding of God. Usually going one's own path can also leave ambiguity and a lack of control which most of these progressions seem to portray to me.

In comparison to my other piano works, Prescience of Augur was more deliberately paced. It was a refreshing experience to compose something where I could fit in more nuanced techniques. Aside from the free-form melody, using longer rest sections such as in #t552 helped balance the song out and set the listener up for trickier sections. As always, most of what I wrote was mental improvisation and I can't be bothered to explain everything I've done up to this point.

Overall, I'm very happy with how Augur turned out. It had a variety of compositional techniques—which I don't normally use—that painted the piece in a good way. I rarely finish music on OS, but the process was very quick and took a little over 2 weeks to write.

Marseillaise Regicide.

I composed this as a direct continuation to Prescience of Augur. I intended Marseillaise to be darker and much more intense in comparison.

Marseilles is the oldest city in France, whereas regicide is the act of killing a king. It is clear that the sequence derives inspiration from the French Revolution—but really, Marseillaise Regicide was just a solid name that worked.

Historically, monarchs prior to the French Revolution resided in the Palace of Versailles. Louis XVI was the last king of France known for his indecisiveness during the revolution. Characteristically, the king was not evil and wanted to support his nation—however his conservative misguidance and lack of virtues gave him weak ruling power. Louis abandoned his duties as king (making the situation worse through financial expenses) and was eventually guillotined for treason.

The title can also be interpreted from "La Marseillaise", the national anthem of France. In relation to Marseillaise Regicide, I think the two have a distinct delivery that is critical in nature. Rather than being patriotic towards ones' own country and fallen soldiers, it seems that the national anthem focuses on the downfall of monarchy.

While the history is extensive, I wrote Marseillaise more from a musical standpoint given that I looked up the details after making the song. I wanted to work under the lines of viciousness and bloodshed, as well as incorporating a little bit of "begging for forgiveness".

As a sequel, I tried to write it in the same flavor as Prescience of Augur. However, since Marseillaise Regicide is a faster song, it becomes more difficult to write interesting rhythms. Instead, I've tried to go for more spontaneous, climatic movements towards the end.

In regards to music theory, I've used quartal harmonies in places that don't necessarily need it. Starting from #t192 you can find them in the counter melody as well as the downwards arpeggio in #t1071. While I frequently use fourths as a compositional preference, I think it also helps contribute towards the unease and disorient of Marseillaise. Since stacked fourths are in the middle of the consonance-dissonance spectrum, you get something that feels oddly out-of-place as they don't completely resolve.

Marseillaise Regicide had a certain kind of energy that I'm used to—so I don't think it was too difficult to compose. At a certain point I became unlucky in finding ways to connect parts of the song tastefully. If I wanted to keep a certain section, often it would feel like juxtaposing two completely different songs. In general, Marseillaise took over 2 months to write.

as a cat, i don't really have strong emotions other than sleeping, destroying things, eating, or spending time with my owner.

so i just randomly choose notes along a musical scale until something works, move notes up and down until i hear a melody, then add a beat. it helps me be at peace with my existential dread.
My "creative process", if you can call it that, is pretty different depending on the song, but it'll start in one of 2 ways. Either A.) I get an idea in my head and wanna jot it down or B.) I'm just fiddling around on OS and come up with something half decent. In both cases, im just trying to come up with something remotely interesting.

Examples of A:

Examples of B:

Most of my songs are part of group A. I always have some sort of idea in my head, but most of them are never realized in OS.
  Lol you've already commented on this sequence.  
I was having a sleepover at my friend's house and we got really bored so I hopped on the piano and attempted to play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBjjfUexPCA  but I messed up and had a melody that sounded more like one of those annoying overused 5 minute crafts songs/phone hold music.  So, I took what few notes I hade made and attempted to improvise some generic fun music.  It eventually became slightly less generic and annoying

first sequence I ever wrote. It's been awhile, hasn't it?

I wanted to write music that you could travel the world to. explore to. wander through fields or hills to. Discover new places or new people, perhaps a wandering bard or two?

This was set in the peak of the medieval ages, in somewhat of a glorious european wonderland. you, the traveler, were wandering about multicolored hills filled with forests and magic. picture that while you listen to this sequence.

you stumble across something later on in the piece, but what that something is remains up to you.

oh, and it was for a minecraft server. :P

Starry Drift took me two days to make.

This started out like most of my sequences - playing around with chords on my piano until I get a four chord progression, then heading over to Online Sequencer to write it down.  After that, well you guys know my formula pretty much.  Repeat, layer instruments, add percussion, add hiss... lol anyway

tldr; a microwave, the lick, and House

• I had all of the piano parts worked out, including the ending, before I started laying down notes on OS.

• I looped it all day long as I worked.  When I walked next to the microwave it was making the song sound all glitchy - the closer I got, the more pronounced the effect.  That's when I got the idea to use "Sequence Volume" hard transitions to make the song sounds like it does.

• I knew I wanted to add the Ground Loop hum from this  in at least one spot (measure 35)

• I snuck in the intro from The View From Here  at measure 23

• I wanted some harsh dissonance so I added the Electric Piano with completely conflicting chords and reverb style at measure 30.  Combined with the cuica at 29, it's supposed to get just a little bit of your attention in one ear before the melody pulls you back in.

• I love microtonality so I added an eighth step down at measure 39 for that disorienting gut punch
  • For that penultimate blues piano lick (measures 49 and 50) I've been a lover of blues piano for a long time, but only started to learn to play it based (of all things) on an episode of House M.D.  It's one of my favorite shows of all time; Hugh Laurie is not only an acting genius but performs some fantastic blues.  This episode finally triggered me to start learning to play the blues style on piano.  https://youtu.be/cLWEODD2dlo?t=80   Actually - this same episode is why I learned to play harmonica at all.  

• For the final chord at 51 - I just kept hitting notes until it sounded right :shrug:  I couldn't tell you what that chord is or why it sounds good, but I love the way it sounded.

Once it was done, I looped it for an hour or so before I went to sleep so that it would save to my brain, and then I fixed the remaining issues in the morning and published it.

trapbeat349 - #blackout [Created 05-04-2021]
trapbeat349 - #blackout (Adjusted for June Monthly Contest) [Updated 06-07-2022]

Overview
I created this song back in 2021, when quarantine was still a thing

Process
I made this by placing random notes and hearing something I like

June Monthly Contest
I changed some of the notes to cold color notes
Pages: 1 2 3 4