Online Sequencer Forums

Full Version: Online Sequencer Kids
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(06-20-2021, 09:32 AM)Firebolt391d Wrote: [ -> ]I like your suggestion because it is a nice and applicable idea. But I don't think that this site is the one to use to help children learn about music.

This site isn't very all that useful for learning about music. (Traditional music theory concepts are not made obvious, and traditional music notation is not possible on OS).
This site also isn't the most user friendly. (Sequences are saved as a very custom type of file. MIDIs are not well implemented. User home pages cannot be easily organized using folders, and there is no 'favorite-ing' or 'liking' sequences. The list goes on.)
I learned about music through this site. We're discussing possible UI enhancements for markers and stuff to limit the amount of popups. Sequences are saved as Protocol Buffer files with the custom extension `.sequence`. Those files are only meant to be re-opened in Online Sequencer, much like most other DAWs have a custom project file save feature. MIDI support is in the works as we haven't really updated it since all of the new updates came out. Playlists are a planned feature that I'm currently working on which should help with sequence organization on the user profile page. I don't think we really need a like button, if you want to express your thoughts about a sequence use the comments. Favoriting would be a cool concept, having a list of favorited sequences so you don't have to go back and look for them later. Might be good to pair with playlists, everyone could have a "Favorites" playlist on their account.
Benvisions, how would you know how old the users are? People can set their birthday in their user profile to anything.

Here's some general things we think about when deciding whether a suggestion is going to happen:
- How much work would it be? We're a small team of volunteers, so if something is going to take more than a day to implement, it's less likely to happen. I think this suggestion would be quite a lot of work.
- How useful is it? If something is super useful, we're more likely to put in the effort (eg markers were a lot of work, but they're super powerful).
- Does it increase the maintenance burden? Adding a new UI like this would drastically increase the burden. Any time we make a change, we'd have to make sure it works in both regular OS and OS kids. Complicated code is also bad, but that's not relevant to this suggestion.
- Does it fit with the goals of the site? This is not an issue for this suggestion, but we want to keep the barrier to entry low. It's really easy to jump into OS and just start clicking notes. All the more complicated features like markers can be learned gradually as you need them.

I think this would be too much work to do (depending on the details of what you're proposing), and it would significantly increase the maintenance burden. I don't think this feature is solving a big problem either.
(06-20-2021, 10:41 AM)Liam Wrote: [ -> ]Benvisions, how would you know how old the users are? People can set their birthday in their user profile to anything.

Here's some general things we think about when deciding whether a suggestion is going to happen:
- How much work would it be? We're a small team of volunteers, so if something is going to take more than a day to implement, it's less likely to happen. I think this suggestion would be quite a lot of work.
- How useful is it? If something is super useful, we're more likely to put in the effort (eg markers were a lot of work, but they're super powerful).
- Does it increase the maintenance burden? Adding a new UI like this would drastically increase the burden. Any time we make a change, we'd have to make sure it works in both regular OS and OS kids. Complicated code is also bad, but that's not relevant to this suggestion.
- Does it fit with the goals of the site? This is not an issue for this suggestion, but we want to keep the barrier to entry low. It's really easy to jump into OS and just start clicking notes. All the more complicated features like markers can be learned gradually as you need them.

I think this would be too much work to do (depending on the details of what you're proposing), and it would significantly increase the maintenance burden. I don't think this feature is solving a big problem either.

I would agree. That it would be a lot of work.
I think Jacob could get a big profit if he simply made some kind of OS Premium user account.

Regular User without OS Premium™
-No profile picture
-No access to chat
-Sequences are saved, but there is a limit to how many sequences your account can have
-Only have access to a limited amount of instruments
-(Console code more secure, having it check your account or something after changing a variable and automatically changing that variable back)
-Only have access to a limited amount of effects, no EQ. Idk.

(JK please don't do this)
ah yes operating system kids is going to be here soon lmfao
(06-25-2021, 05:00 PM)Miej43rejyg Wrote: [ -> ]ah yes operating system kids is going to be here soon lmfao
https://awesomeopensource.com/project/jostroOS/amogOS

Not a bad idea to be honest, you should make one
(06-25-2021, 05:05 PM)Lopyt Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-25-2021, 05:00 PM)Miej43rejyg Wrote: [ -> ]ah yes operating system kids is going to be here soon lmfao
https://awesomeopensource.com/project/jostroOS/amogOS

Not a bad idea to be honest, you should make one
how the **** do i make an operating system though lol
Linux From Scratch, Gentoo, etc.
You can fork an existing linux if you want too, like Debian or Arch
it's probably going to delete all my apps if i download linux os and fork it a bit but if there is a way to fork it without downloading it then it's all good
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8